Stay warm this season by using your crock pot to make some delicious and healthy meals. Enjoy!
Old South Pulled Pork on a Bun
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
1 cup tomato based chilli sauce (I use
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 boneless pork
shoulder, trimmed or excess fat, about 3 lbs (1.5 kg)
Kaiser or onion buns,
halved and warmed.
In a skillet, heat oil
over medium heat. Add onions and cook
until soft. Add garlic, chili powder and
pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and liquid
smoke. Stir to combine and bring to a
Place pork in slow
cooker stoneware and pour sauce over.
Cover and cook on LOW for
10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours, until pork is falling apart.
Transfer pork to a
cutting board and pull the meat apart in shreds, using 2 forks. Return to sauce and keep warm. When ready to serve, spoon shredded pork and
sauce over warm buns.
|1 (3 ½ lbs/1.5kg)||boneless pork shoulder|
|1 tsp (5 mL)||coarse ground black pepper|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||canola oil|
|1 can (10 oz/284 mL)||CAMPBELL'S® Condensed Tomato Basil and Oregano soup|
|1 box (900 mL)||CAMPBELL'S® Ready to Use 30% Less Sodium Chicken broth|
|2||medium onions, sliced|
|3 tbsp (45 mL)||chopped garlic|
|1 tsp (5 mL)||smoked paprika (or 2 tsp/10 mL regular paprika)|
|1/4 cup (60 mL)||orange juice|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||cider vinegar|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||brown sugar|
1. Sprinkle pork with ground pepper.
2. In a heavy bottom skillet, warm oil over medium heat and brown pork roast all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Add onions, garlic, paprika, bay leaf, brown sugar and cider vinegar, tomato soup, broth, and orange juice.
4. Cook, covered, on HIGH setting for 4 hours OR on LOW setting for 7 to 8 hours. Remove pork roast from liquid and cool. Remove bay leaf.
5. Using two forks, shred or ‘pull' pork apart and return to hot liquid.
6. Adjust seasoning to your liking and serve piled high on warm buns.
- Steps 1 through 5 can be executed up to two days ahead.
The best accompaniments for pulled pork are slaw and pickles.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)450 Calories, 14g Fat, 820mg Sodium, 20g Carbohydrate, 2g Dietary Fibre, 62g Protein, 4% Daily Value Calcium
EXCELLENT SOURCE OF PROTEIN